UNDISCOVERED ROMANIA

Hi everyone!
Salut tuturor!
My name is Sebastian and I’m studying for a Master’s degree in French philology and Balkan studies with Macedonian and Turkish. Besides, I graduated from the Jagiellonian University in Kraków in the field of Romanian philology, hence my unusual interest in Romania and the Balkans. I lived in Bucharest
for a year during my student exchange program, which certainly allowed me to get to know the country better, as well as the entire Balkan Peninsula. At some point, I couldn't help but wonder: how is it possible that a country that also belongs to the European Union is still undiscovered and seen through the prism of harmful stereotypes by many nations? Meanwhile, Romania, located between the Occident and the Orient, is full of  surprises due to the intertwined Romance, Slavic, Turkish and Greek influences over the centuries, occupying a unique position on the map of Eastern Europe. On this blog I will try to present it as best as possible from my perspective, focusing not only on Romanian culture and history, but also on literature, places worth visiting and nightlife in Bucharest which in the period between the two World Wars earned the nickname of Paris of the East. But does the Romanian capital on the banks of the Dâmbovița River still retain its former charm? Let's discover it together!

Sebastian

Comments

Popular Posts